Memphis || Book Review

No comments:

37906534
Title: Memphis
Author: Ginger Scott
Publication Date: February 23, 2018
Publisher: Self-published
Links: Goodreads || Amazon

Rating: ★★
Synopsis via Goodreads: My mom always said it was just something about the way he moved. 

The same swagger Archie Valentine wore in the ring when he took his opponents down followed him like a halo everywhere he went. But make no mistake about it—he was no angel. He was like a drug. My mother was his addict.

I never understood it…how love could make you blind and convince you to drink the poison. Not until I met Memphis Delaney.

At first, it was the familiar form. He’s a fighter, built like a god from the past, the kind of man the universe doesn’t make anymore. His eyes hide a story, and every time I’m in his presence I want to keep reading him until I get to the end. And then…there’s the way he moves. His boxing is violent but beautiful, and his body is a seductive weapon. When he’s in the ring, he wears the stare of a man committed to the battle until his very last breath.

He could end me; turn me into her. Too much of him will leave me as a shadow, and I’ve lost so much of myself already.

But I have discipline. It came the hard way. Lessons learned, scars left behind, and trust stripped away from life.

I will breathe his air, but I won’t fall for a man like him. The only boxer who’s ever going to break my heart is the one who gave me my name.
Memphis is a fighter romance about getting back up no matter how many times life knocks you down. After her ex-husband is convicted in a Ponzi scheme, Olivia Valentine finds herself right back at the one place she tried so hard to run away from. The Valentine family is anything but welcoming and while her return home may be only temporary, Olivia can't stop herself from wanting to know more about Memphis Delaney, a fighter who trains at her family's gym. Sparks fly and although she may have been reluctant at first, Olivia slowly starts falling for Memphis. But when the past comes to light, what ends up being revealed may just break these two apart.

I had no idea what to expect when I picked up Ginger Scott's latest release but it's been a long ass time since I last read a fighter romance so I was excited to see what Scott was serving up. Memphis is a romance with layers. It starts off slow and the thing is, I went into this book expecting a very simple romance, but I was totally thrown for a loop. I don't want to give too much away because the plot-twist is just too good to be spoiled for but holy hell what a twist! I did not see this story taking that kind of turn and Ginger Scott did an amazing job at bringing this story full circle.  

Liv's family wins the award for being ONE OF THE WORST FICTIONAL FAMILY I've ever read about. I don't think there is even a word to describe how much hatred I feel for them but they truly are worst than scum. All their actions, their lies, their snakish ways made my blood boil because how can one be so cruel to their own flesh and blood? They are not redeemable in anyway and they deserved so much worse than what they got. 

Memphis Delaney stole my heart! He's been knocked down a few times but he always gets back in the ring. I think what surprised me most about Memphis was his laid-back personality. I thought he would have a lot of built up aggression considering his back story, but he is so kind and willing to help those in need. Memphis is by far my favorite hero by Ginger Scott has written to date! Although Olivia might not want to admit it, she definitely has some fighter instincts in her. She may be rough around the edges, but there is a softness to her and Memphis helps to bring that part out. The romance is a slow-burning one which is understandable since Liv is so hell-bent on not following in her mother's footsteps by falling in love with a fighter. It's ironic because all these two ever wanted was a place to call home and they managed to find that in each other.

The epilogue absolutely gutted me. It was told from a POV that wasn't Memphis or Liv's and I wasn't expecting that but it was beautiful! I CRIED ALL THE TEARS AND I COULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR A BETTER WAY TO END THIS STORY!


Image result for happy crying gif
I don't think I've said this before but Ginger Scott is truly an amazing writer and if you haven't read one of her books yet then what are you waiting for?! Her ability to turn what would seem like a simple romance into something so much more is a gift and I can't wait to see what type of romance Scott brings us next!  


No comments:

Post a Comment