Shame Me Not - Book Review

No comments:
Title: Shame (Formally Shame Me Not)
Author: Fiona Cole
Publication Date: January 23, 2018 (First published July 26, 2017)
My Rating: 4/5
The girl next door. Pretty. Sweet. Kind.

Submissive.

Until I met her, I was alone with the dark desires that I didn't understand, that I couldn't reconcile.

She became my best friend, and then she became so much more.

Desire. Disgust. Shame.

Dominance.

I wouldn’t have survived until college without her. When we were together, I was at peace for the first time in my life.

But it was too good to last.

Our appetite for pain and pleasure destroyed us. And all the drinks in the world weren’t enough to get used to missing her.

On the verge of earning my degree, Ana walks back into my life, those gray-blue eyes still able to see right through me. It’s the chance I’ve been waiting for. One last chance to overcome my shame.

If only it were that easy.
Purchase Links:
Amazon  Goodreads

In Shame me Not we follow two teenagers Kevin and Anna. Anna and her mother move in next door to Kevin's family after her mother and father divorce. Upset at the fact that she has to uproot her life and start fresh at a new school are just a few of Anna's problems. The fact that her dad seems to be somewhat avoiding spending any real time with her is another problem. She soon finds that the handsome boy next door becomes more than being her next door neighbor and surprisingly becomes one of her best friends. The pair form an undeniable connection as the years progress and are always there for each other whenever  they need a close listening ear.

But as the years progress they also separately discover that they both have a particular... preference. One that they are both too shameful to admit, even to each other. But once the secret gets out they decide who better to trust and explore this with than each other?

 I first heard about this book on my various bookish feeds, and noticed that my co-blogger Ari had read it as well. I had plans to read it but kind of always put it off for another time. Fast forward to last month and this book caused quite a frenzy because it was banned on Amazon, and me being the nosey person I am I knew that if and when it ever got put back I HAD to finally hop on it so I could see what all the fuss was about (plus get to it in case it ever got banned again lol). 

I think one of the most interesting things about this book is how these two discover their kinks at fairly young age, and how they try to navigate it. The two meet at age 16 and start such a strong and cute friendship. Like I said they become instant best friends and are there for one another throughout high school. Kevin was such a sweetie and the biggest gentleman. He was always so supportive of Anna and never pushed her past any limits that she was uncomfortable with. especially when they decided to test the waters of what they both enjoyed.

Shame is a strong feeling throughout the novel, and it could be felt so strongly. Each time Kevin or Anna had an intense feeling of shame or self doubt in themselves and what they enjoyed I could feel their emotions so strongly. I think that the author did a really great job of conveying these emotions in a way that the reader can empathize with the characters, even if they don't share the same viewpoint. There were so many times where my heart went out to each of them because the emotions that they went through could be felt so deeply. And the angst on top of it all made me want to jump into the book multiple times and to hug them, and also shake them on a few occasions hahahaha!!

The BDSM aspect of this book was so well done in my opinion. It wasn't just thrown in to make the story spicy just for fun, it was an integral part of the story and you can tell that the author took great care to make sure that she presented the subject matter with good care. I feel like even someone who doesn't enjoy BDSM books will find themselves hooked into this story and with Kevin and Anna.

Another thing I loved about this book is that there was a bit of a slow burn quality, and it was friends to lovers which is one of my all time favorite tropes. The book spans 10 years of the trials and troubles that they have to go through in order to reach their happy place. Seeing them grow into who they are and what they love felt so complete by the end of the book and I'm definitely glad that I was finally nosey enough to snatch this up once it was available again.

Anyone looking for a book that looks like simple smut on the surface layer, but is actually deeper than that and goes into depth about BDSM aspects then you definitely need to check this book out. Kevin and Anna will take you on a journey that will test you as they are tested, it will make you feel the shame that they feel even if you can't relate, but it will also make you feel whole and accepted with them by the time it all wraps up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment