Spiders in the Grove || Book Review

No comments:

30154742
Title: Spiders in the Grove
Author: J.A. Redmerski
Series: In the Company of Killers
Publication Date: February 13, 2018
Publisher: Self-published
Links: Goodreads || Amazon

Rating: ★★
Synopsis via Goodreads: Izabel and Naeva find themselves right where they wanted to be in Mexico: captured and held in the slave compounds owned by the Ruiz family. But the two are soon separated and forced into very different—but equally dangerous—situations. Izabel spends the next three weeks playing a role she never expected she would get the opportunity to play, but her luck runs out when Naeva’s life hangs in the balance, and only Izabel can save her. But at a terrible cost. If Izabel chooses to help Naeva, it will expose a lie she has been carrying on her shoulders since she met Victor Faust. A lie that will not only potentially make everyone in Victor’s Order distrust her going forward, but one that will also blow her carefully constructed cover In Mexico, and that could get her killed.

Fredrik, still looking for his serial killer, does not have to look long—the killer finds him. And Niklas’s past catches up to him when an old enemy comes back for revenge. But it will be Victor’s actions that shake up those left in his Order, and ultimately, be its downfall.
The next installment to my ALL-TIME FAVORITE SERIES is finally here!

Related image
It's been months since Behind the Hands That Kill left me in a state of shookethness because of all the tea that was spilt. With all the events that went down in the sixth book, I was very curious to see where things would go next...ESPECIALLY WITH VICTOR AND IZZY BECAUSE I WAS NOT FUCKING WILLING TO LET THIS SHIP SINK! I had my theories written down for every possible plot twist I could think of. I legit re-read all the books just so I could make sure I didn't miss anything. I thought my ass was ready for the fuckery that was about to go down. That was my first mistake...I thought.

Related image
Spiders in the Grove picks up right where the Behind the Hands That Kill left off. Izabel and Naeva are off to Mexico to get their revenge on the Ruiz Empire. They plan to tear town the empire from the inside by getting themselves captured, although things don't go end up going exactly the way they planned. Meanwhile, the rest of Victor's Order are all on their own personal missions and what happens next may end up tearing them apart. 

Spiders in the Grove started off a bit slow for me. I felt like a good chunk of this book was more so a filler because nothing too exciting really goes down. Although, that it not necessarily a bad thing because the story builds up to one hell of an explosive ending so I can't be too bothered by this slow pacing. One other thing that did bother me for sure were the length of the chapters. They were rather short and I felt that hardly left any room for the side stories to fully develop. I know this book was more so focused on Izzy's revenge, but I have so many unanswered questions about these side missions and I need answers NOW!  

I really loved the fact that everyone's POVs were included in this book. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that this is the first book where all of the main character's POVs are included and they're on the same timeline. There's not that one POV that's being told in the past or that one character who only gets one chapter at the very end. Also, the writing was a little different in this book, more specifically, the tone for some of these POVs were more on the lighter side. Fredrik who will forever be my dark knight and Niklas who is will forever be my moody bastard actually made me laugh quite a few times. Their internal dialogues were just too funny and I'm honestly surprised because who the fuck knew that these two had this other side to them??  

THE FUCKERY WAS REAL DURING THE LAST 30% OF THIS BOOK! LIKE WTF EVEN ARE THESE PLOT TWISTS AND HOW DID I NOT SEE THEM COMING?! I'm still shook by Izzy's confession because even though Redmerski warned us that there would be a betrayal, I didn't expect it to be something like this. I feel personally attacked. I feel betrayed. I can't trust any of these characters anymore. Everything I thought I knew is now a lie and I don't know what to do with myself.   

I don't even have the ability to form a coherent thought about my feelings on Izzy and Victor's relationship status. I know Niklas and Izzy shippers may be rejoicing but honestly y'all need to calm yo tits because it's never gonna happen. IZZY AND VICTOR ARE MEANT TO BE AND I WILL FIGHT ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE.

Related image 
Spiders in the Grove was not at all what I was expecting and I honestly don't know what to expect next. I'm not even going to make any attempts at guessing what's to come because I done know Redmerski is gonna throw us for a loop. I just hope the wait for the next book won't be as long as this one was.


No comments:

Post a Comment