A Bad Boy, A Dreamer & A Grumpy Coach || Mini Reviews

No comments:
MY WEEK WITH THE BAD BOY by BROOKE CUMBERLAND & LYRA PARISH
★★
36003553
“I feel like when I'm with you, I can be myself again, and that's a feeling I haven't felt for a very, very long time.”
If you don't already know, Brooke Cumberland and Lyra Parish are the author-duo behind Kennedy Fox and while I never really had any interest in picking up their Checkmate Duet series I still wanted to give one of their books a try since many bloggers rave about them. Unfortunately, I think I may be in the minority when it comes to this author-duo because I was not won over by My Week with the Bad Boy.

Vada Collins is a romance writer who is struggling to find the words to complete her next book. She decides to get away for the week in hopes of finding some inspiration to get the words flowing. What she didn't expect was to find herself falling for Ethan Rochester, a bad boy who will most likely break her heart. 

I can't say that there was much about My Week with the Bad Boy that I actually liked. The story itself is rather short and filled with insta-lust. Essentially we are meant to believe that two characters fall in love within a matter of days and I usually have no problem with romances like these, but I just couldn't buy into this one. I didn't feel the chemistry between Vada and Ethan and I really wanted a stronger emotional connection rather than just a physical one. Also, some of these sex scenes weren't even that sexy. I mean, how is "I won't be surprised if I'm missing a layer of skin tomorrow...your pussy's so fucking hungry" suppose to be...sexy?? Circumcision by sex is a no y'all.

I didn't care for either Vada or Ethan. Vada is just a little too dramatic for me. I get that she's hurt after her ex cheated on her, but she was acting like Ethan did her wrong before actually getting the full story. I'm not a fan of heroines who make assumptions because they just make romances messy. I did feel sorry for Ethan considering all he's been through, but I still didn't like him. I guess bad boys just don't have any affect on me? My Week with the Bad Boy was a miss for me and I probably won't continue with the series.
THICKER THAN WATER by DYLAN ALLEN
★★
35492648
...love is thicker than water. Blood means nothing without love.
I read Dylan Allen's debut novel, Rise, and wasn't really a fan of the writing or the characters so I never had any interest of checking out her other releases. But then I heard the buzz around her upcoming release, Thicker Than Water, and decided to give Allen a second shot to see if this book would be a better read.

Lucia Vega's debut novel, Throw Away the Key, has taken the publishing industry by storm and has now caught the eye of Reece Carras, a famous movie producer who wants to bring her novel to the big screen. After agreeing to her terms, Lucia and Reece begin working together to bring her story to life and along the way, a spark ignites between the two. They say good things come to those who wait but for how long will they last?

Thicker Than Water started off on a good note and I was immediately sucked into the story. The book deals with an important issue that has been the topic of discussion for many months: DACA. Lucia is a Dreamer who has faced numerous struggles throughout her young life. My heart broke as I read about her childhood and how her family fell apart. She had to fight for herself since no one was really around to fight for her. I completely admire her strength and her determination to do better for herself. I just wanted to best life for her and was cursing at everyone who stood in the way of Lucia's happiness! 

The thing that didn't work for me was the romance and Reece. The insta-lust is very strong between these two. Lucia and Reece were already eye-fucking each other right from the first chapter and it annoyed me. I wish that there was more of a build up when it came to the romance, especially considering the topic at hand. I also wasn't a big fan of the sex scenes and I'm not even picky when it comes to sex in romances but these scenes were so rushed. What happened to slow and sensual moments? After Lucia and Reece got together was where things started going downhill for me. Speaking of Reece, I felt like his character was there for eye-candy. His character lacked depth and I just didn't connect with him at all. I kind of wished that this book had focused more on Lucia and her story and that the romance took a back seat. While I appreciate the fact that Allen touched upon such a relevant issue in Thicker Than Water, the overall story itself just fell flat for me.
HEAD COACH by LIA RILEY
★★★★
35631670
“I want you. I've wanted you since the day I met you. I've only craved you.”
Is it just me or are the covers for these series not working for anyone else? Ugly covers aside, I was still very excited to start Head Coach! I'll admit, I wasn't too big a fan of Mister Hockey, but I needed to know what exactly was going down between the Denver Hellions' head coach and the top notch sports reporter who goes great lengths to get the story.

With the Hellions losing their best player, head coach Tor Gunnar tries his best to keep his team in shape to maintain their winning reputation. But that's easier said than done and with the lockout creating more stress, Tor can't seem to catch a break. It doesn't help that Neve Angel, Denver's top sports reporter, has been doing her damnedest to get the scoop about the lockout. But when a bet shakes things up between the two, Neve and Tor will soon realize that sports may not be the only thing they have strong feelings for.

I devoured Head Coach in less that 24-hours. Enemies-to-lovers is one of my favorite tropes so I was living for the romance and all it's angst. I liked this sequel a lot more than the first book because of the fact that there was already an established connection between Neve and Tor so seeing their relationship progress to something more felt natural. The banter was entertaining as these two really took jabs at one another. Also, the chemistry between these two was fire! Lia Riley has been holding out on us and I need her to write more romances like this one.

Neve is a woman on a mission who does whatever it takes to get the tea. But underneath all that sleek confidence lies a woman who also has a number of insecurities, which is why I found Neve's character to be so relatable. Tor is such a grump and I'm in love. I really thought I would hate him because he is a bit of an asshole in the beginning, but he's got this sweet, sexy side that I can't help but love. I really liked the fact that Tor and his ex-wife had a great relationship because the bitter ex annoys me so much. My only complaint about this book was that it's a bit on the short side. I got to the end and was so sad because I needed more! I'm excited for the final installment in the Hellions Angels series and I can't wait to learn all about goalie with the reputation for trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment