Act Your Age || Book Review

No comments:

36252773
Title: Act Your Age
Author: Eve Dangerfield
Publication Date: September 27, 2017
Publisher: BookBaby
Links: Goodreads || Amazon || Barnes & Noble 

Rating: ★★
Synopsis via Goodreads: Just because Kate ‘Middleton’ McGrath, wants a man to call ‘daddy’ in bed doesn’t mean— 
Oh, you stopped reading. Cool.
Kate gets it. Kinks aren’t for everyone. Hell, they’re probably not for Mr. Henderson, her grumpaholic boss. She really shouldn’t have crush on him, but the man is just so goddamn stern. Sure, a lot of that comes down to ‘being her boss,’ but still, it feels like there might be something there.
Tyler Henderson is a golden boy who’s lost his shine. He’s old, his dream career is over, his fiancée’s left him. Now all the former firefighter can do is try and bury his troubles in paperwork and hard liquor. He says ‘try’ because he can't get Middleton out of his head long enough to wallow properly. He’s not going anywhere near the girl. HR issues aside, he’s done with sweetness and things don’t come sweeter than a cupcake-baking engineer who knits her own hats.
A case of mistaken identity causes Kate and Ty’s attraction to give way to blistering sex. They have more in common—and more to lose—than either of them realized. When it comes to unreasonable attraction you can rarely change your mind but can you act your age?
I'm pretty sure I sound like a broken record right now considering majority of the reviews for this book started out in a similar manner, but "the daddy kink" is just not a kink for me. I'll admit that when I first heard about daddy romances, my curiosity was piqued. But after having read a few of these romances, I instantly became annoyed with their "over the top" plots and juvenile heroines. I swore I would never read another daddy kink book after that, but then reviews for Act Your Age started popping up and once again my curiosity got the best of me. I swear my curious reading habits will get me into trouble one of these days...

Forty-five year old Tyler Henderson was once a man who had it all: a job doing what he loved and a fiancée who he was going to spend the rest of his life with. Then everything falls apart and the man who once had it all has now hit a road block. In walks Kate McGrath and once again Tyler's world is turned upside down because he can't get Kate out of his head. He can't help but want her, despite the fact that he's twice her age. But when a night out leads to something more, will Kate and Tyler decide to explore their fantasies together or will fear keep them from taking things to the next level?

One of the things I loved most about this book was the writing. I've heard great things about Dangerfield's writing from other blogger friends and it's the main reason why I kept on reading. There's this bluntness to her writing and her dialogue that I've never experienced before and I just couldn't put my eReader down, despite the fact that this book pushed me out of my comfort zone. Also, I am totally in love with Aussie slang! I have no idea what some of these characters were saying half the time but it sounded sassy so I rolled with it. 

I love, love, love Kate McGrath. Kate is quirky, friendly, relatable and I don't think it's possible to hate her at all. She comes off as the girl-next-door type, but once you get to know her you realize that she's anything but. She's had a difficult childhood as she was the youngest and her parents never really showed her affection. She also has ADHD but she doesn't let her define her or hold her back from being successful in a male-dominated work force. Making friends and letting people in has always been hard for her and I really loved seeing her grow and push herself to open up more. I especially loved her boldness once she finally let that side show. Kate surprised me in more ways than one and she's definitely one of my favorite female leads for this year. Then we have Tyler Henderson. *cue eye-roll* I did not like Tyler at all when I first read his POV and I pretty much hated him for about 70% of this book. He's kind of a douche bag, for a lack of a better word, and I thought he was a bit full of himself. I mean, what guy refuses to go down on a girl but expects her to go down on him?! Yes there are valid reasons for Tyler's behavior, but I still thought he was being an ass. Luckily, he managed to turn things around and we find that Tyler does have a sweet side to him and once he actually started showing that side, I began to warm up to him.  

So let's talk about the daddy role playing and the romance. I gotta say, I think Dangerfield did an amazing job at exploring the daddy fetish and realistically portraying it. She gives it to us straight, no fluffy bullshit like with those other daddy romances. She explains the rules, discusses limits and even goes about exploring other fetishes as well which I liked. There is role playing between Tyler and Kate and I'll just say what it is: stepfather/stepdaughter role play. I know for some this may be a turn-off, but quite frankly these are two consenting adults exploring their fetishes together and I didn't see a problem with it. As for the romance itself, it's a slow-burn. These two have a number of issues they have to work out before they find their happily-ever-after but I was totally rooting for these two to end up together by the end. The angst is worth it, I promise!

Act Your Age was a surprising read and refreshing take on your typical daddy romance. Will I read more daddy kink books in the future? HELL NO. I may have enjoyed this book, but I'm still not a fan of this kink. If Eve Dangerfield wrote another daddy romance in the distant future would I read it? MAYBE, it honestly depends on my mood. Would I recommend this book to other romance readers? YES, but only if you think you can handle it.



No comments:

Post a Comment