Damaged Like Us || Book Review

No comments:

21427834
Damaged Like Us by Krista & Becca Ritchie
Series: Like Us
Publication Date: June 27, 2017
Publisher: K.B Ritchie
Links: Goodreads || Amazon || Barnes & Nobles  

Rating: ★★½
Synopsis via Goodreads: Don’t date your bodyguard. 
It was the one rule he had to break.

Maximoff Hale is a force of nature. A ship unwilling to be steered. Headstrong, resilient, and wholly responsible — the twenty-two-year-old alpha billionaire can handle his unconventional life. By noon, lunch can turn into a mob of screaming fans. By two, his face is all over the internet. 

Born into one of the most famous families in the country, his celebrity status began at birth. 

He is certified American royalty. 

When he’s assigned a new 24/7 bodyguard, he comes face-to-face with the worst case scenario: being attached to the tattooed, MMA-trained, Yale graduate who’s known for “going rogue” in the security team — and who fills 1/3 of Maximoff's sexual fantasies. 

Twenty-seven-year-old Farrow Keene has one job: protect Maximoff Hale. Flirting, dating, and hot sex falls far, far out of the boundary of his bodyguard duties and into “termination” territory. But when feelings surface, protecting the sexy-as-sin, stubborn celebrity becomes increasingly complicated. 

Together, boundaries blur, and being exposed could mean catastrophic consequences for both.
If you know me, then you know that the Addicted/Calloway Sisters series is one of my all-time favorite series EVER! I completely adore everything about the Addicted world: the characters, their struggles, the families, the romances...literally everything.  So like many others who are a fan of Krista and Becca's books, I too was excited to dive into the next generation of Hale/Calloway/Meadows. But I think my over excitement got the best of me because I didn't end up loving Damaged Like Us as much as I had hoped...

Damaged Like Us takes us back to the Addicted world, but this time it's all about the new generation. The Hale, Calloway, and Meadows children are all grown up, taking on the world and dealing with the struggles of being in the spotlight. Their lives are plastered on the pages of magazines and they are forever being stalked by the paparazzi. Being the oldest of all the children, Maximoff Hale has become quite protective of his family and will defend them at all cost. He's already accomplished so much at the young age of twenty-two, but when it comes to the romance department, he has his guards up. So when Maximoff's new bodyguard turns out to be none other than the guy who fills all of his fantasies, lines become blurred and Maximoff finds himself letting his guard down for the one person he can't have.


*DEEP SIGH*

Image result for disappointment gif

So I may be exaggerating just a bit, but to be honest I can't say that there was much about Damaged Like Us that I actually liked. I went into this new series expecting it to be a lot like the Addicted/Calloway Sisters series and combined with my high expectations, I think I totally set myself up to be let down. But before we get to the bad, let's talk about the good stuff. I love the fact that family plays a major role in this new series and that the Hale/Calloway/Meadows crew stick together. They may argue and disagree over certain matters, but when shit hits the fan they have each others backs. I also liked how protective Moffy was of everyone with his little descriptions of how he would totally end you if you tried to hurt it family! It was cute to be honest. ALSO, SEEING THE CORE SIX! Although we didn't get to see much of Lily, Daisy and Rose, still being able to see any of the core six at all was enough for me. I miss them so much and I'm so proud of how far they've come.

Now onto the bad. Damaged Like Us is a forbidden romance with a bit of a friends-to-lovers thrown in and I was very excited to see Moffy and Farrow get together. I'm a big fan of the bodyguard trope, but this romance just fell a bit flat for me. I wish that there was more of a build-up when it came to the romance. I wanted more angst. I think I also was expecting a stronger emotional connection between the pair, but everything just felt very shallow. 

While I liked how protective and caring Moffy was for his family, I'm not a big fan of Moffy himself. Moffy is totally idolized in this book by his siblings and cousins. Moffy is the one who helps with all of their problems. Moffy is successful and gets what he wants. Moffy can literally do no wrong. It just became annoying and I was rolling my eyes after a while. Also, why was Moffy constantly concerned about the media comparing him to Ryke? I thought this issue was resolved during Some Kind of Perfect so why was it even relevant in this book?! It was just excessive drama and shouldn't have been included.

But the worst part was the damn plot twist. THE PLOT TWIST PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH! 

JANE DESERVED BETTER!

Image result for mad gif

My girl Jane and the core six were honestly done so dirty. Like y'all can fight me on this, but this plot twist wasn't even necessary. Things could've gone in a totally different direction and Jane wouldn't have been hurt. I can't even predict how shit will go down in the sequel because we already know that the media is unforgiving so how exactly does Moffy expect things to work out?! It was just straight up bullshit and I'm still mad about how things went down.

Damaged Like Us is my most disappointing read for 2017. I don't even know how I feel about the fact that three books in this new series will be revolve around Moffy and Farrow. Like why though?? At this point, I'm hoping Jane and Sulli's books won't let me down or I may riot.



No comments:

Post a Comment