Slow Burning Romances and Disappointments || Mini Reviews

No comments:
BRAVE by TAMMARA WEBBER
★★★
29924861
“I don't know where I'm going yet, but it's a big wide world, and I'm too young to give up and throw in the towel on my life.”
After waiting over two and a half years, the next book in Contours of the Heart series was finally released. Y'all, I've been dying to get my hands on this book ever since Tammara Webber announced a release date. Not gonna lie, I really had my doubts about whether or not Webber would ever release this book, but once she did, all I wanted to do was devour it.

Brave follows our two main characters, Erin McIntyre and Isaac Matt. Now, if you need a little refresher since it's been a while, Erin is the best friend of Jacqueline who is the heroine in Easy. Erin has just graduated college and she's a bit lost when it comes to deciding her next step in life, so she accepts a job at her father's company. There she is put to work under Isaac Matt who she believes can't stand the sight of her. But despite his cold demeanor, Erin can't help but feel a connection with Isaac but is she willing to risk her new job to find out if he feels the same way too?

Brave is not at all what I had expected it to be. I went into this one expecting a slow-burning romance with a great amount of tension, and don't get me wrong, the romance is exactly just that but the story itself is reminiscent of a coming-of-age story. Erin is a heroine I related to so hard. We're kind of both in a similar position as she too in unsure what she wants to do with her life, which path she wants to take, which career she wants pursue. All her feelings and thoughts were literally things I've been thinking about for the past few months and it was like she was in my head, lol. I admire the fact that Webber showed us this other side to Erin and I enjoyed seeing her find her voice and the courage to eventually go after her dream.

Patience is something you'll need when it comes to the romance aspect in this book. This romance is slow as molasses in January. I'm talking you ain't getting no grand gestures until about 80%, but again the romance isn't the focus of this story. I very much enjoyed the slow-build between these two and once the plot twistis revealed, you will understand why Isaac was hesitant to take things further. Isaac is a boss y'all. I spent most of the book wishing his POV was included as well, but I'm kind of glad now that it wasn't after the twist was revealed. Brave was definitely worth the wait, but I'm hoping that I don't have to wait another three years until Tammara Webber releases her next book. 
WHORE  by WILLOW ASTER
★★
36482899
“No one plans to be a whore. But these are the repercussions. It's my blood. And I will never escape it.
Whore is a book I picked up after seeing it being hyped up on Twitter and Goodreads and I wanted to know why. I'll admit, before this book I've never heard of Willow Aster before but I'm always up for discovering new authors so I hoped that this book would be as good as everyone was claiming it to be.

Whore follows our main character, Lilith Fontenot. Lilith, for a lack of a better word, is a whore. She works at Maison D'amour, which fronts as an upscale spa and is owned by her mother. All her life, Lilith has never been able to make a decision for herself. She's trapped in a life she so desperately wants to escape and when the opportunity strikes for that escape, will she take it?

Fun fact, I have a soft spot for dark romances where the heroine is some type of sex worker or stripper or anything related to this field. I think it's because that these types of heroines are usually put down by all other characters in the story and people don't expect them to be anything more than what they are. That is, until these heroines decide enough is enough and take matters into their own hands. Whore started out in a similar manner. Lili's mother has always controlled her life and now she is forcing her to be with a man who used her a long time ago and has come back to do the same again. But a fire occurs at Maison D'amour and Lili uses this as a chance to escape. The thing with Whore and why I didn't end up enjoying it as much was the fact that the plot was all over the place. The story starts off strong and then we get to about 25% and then things take a strong turn in an unexpected direction and to be honest, it didn't make any sense. It felt very unnecessary because Lili just ends up back at square one again. From about 30-70%, NOTHING HAPPENS. Nothing interesting anyways and by the time the story picks back up again, I had already lost interest.

The romance itself was weak because the plot is all over the place. I didn't have any connection with Soti, who is the love interest and also helps Lili escape in the first place. Everything just felt instant, like I didn't feel like these two had enough time to get to know one another for them to develop such strong feelings. I do like Lili, for the most part. But again, the story itself made it hard for me to connect with her since things were all over the place. Will I read another book by this author? Who knows, but if I do, it won't be anytime soon.
THREE BLIND DATES by MEGHAN QUINN
★★
36572433
“Your heart is never blind.”
When I first read the blurb for Three Blind Dates, I side-eyed the fuck out of it. I absolutely hate romances with geometrical relationships and I wanted to know exactly what type of games Meghan Quinn was playing when she sat down to write this story. Because Meghan was playing some games y'all so you might wanna strap your eReaders to your hands before diving in.

Three Blind Dates is a modern spin on the movie You've Got Mail and follows our heroine, Noely Clark who is a co-host on the TV show Good Morning, Malibu. Noely is tired of the dating scene and is ready to settle down with 'The One'. But first, she needs to find him. She is approached by a new restaurant called Going in Blind and agrees to let them help her find her perfect match. But it's not as simple as it seems when Noely's hearts falls for not one, but three potential matches.

I have never read a book that had me so stressed that I ended up wanting to pull me hair out. Like seriously, if I hadn't had tied my hair up while reading, I would be half-bald. But the stress is so worth it because I am head-over-heels in love with this new series. It's witty with twist and turns that will have you guessing until the end. I absolutely adored the secondary characters. Alex and his wife Lauren are a riot. They're the oddest couple I've ever met and there's never a dull moment when these two are around. While most of this story is on the funnier side, you will need some patience when it comes to the romance, hence why I wanted to pull out my hair.

I completely adore Noely. I love her personality and she has all the damn patience in the world because I would've quit the program once shit started going down hill. Homegirl was just trying to find love and I felt like a cheerleader on the sideline rooting for her to find her Prince Charming! And then we have our three eligible bachelors (sort of): Hayden Holmes, Beck Wilder, and Jack. Now, I'm not gonna talk too much about the guys because I'm not giving away any clues to which one of them ends up being endgame, but I will say that I went in being #TeamHayden. I am bias though since we had already met Hayden in one of Meghan's previous books so I already had a crush on the guy. I'm am so anxious for the next two books in this series, especially after seeing the title for the third book because I need answers. Meghan is definitely not finished playing games but this time I will be ready for them...I think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment