Wrong to Need You || Book Review

No comments:

34217566
Title: Wrong to Need You
Author: Alisha Rai
Series: Forbidden Hearts
Publication Date: November 28, 2017
Publisher: Avon
Links: Goodreads || Amazon || Barnes & Noble 

Rating: ★★★½
Synopsis via Goodreads: He wasn’t supposed to fall in love with his brother’s widow…

Accused of a crime he didn’t commit, Jackson Kane fled his home, his name, and his family. Ten years later, he’s come back to town: older, wiser, richer, tougher—and still helpless to turn away the one woman he could never stop loving, even after she married his brother.

Sadia Ahmed can’t deal with the feelings her mysterious former brother-in-law stirs, but she also can’t turn down his offer of help with the cafe she’s inherited. While he heats up her kitchen, she slowly discovers that the boy she adored has grown into a man she’s simply unable to resist.

An affair is unthinkable, but their desire is undeniable. As secrets and lies are stripped away, Sadia and Jackson must decide if they’re strong enough to face the past...and step into a future together.
*ARC borrowed for review*

ALISHA RAI HAS DONE IT AGAIN!

Image result for sobbing gif

Full disclosure, I'm writing this review from beyond my grave because Alisha Rai has slayed my life to it's entirety with Wrong to Need You that I don't know how I can possibly go on living. Okay, okay, enough with my dramatics. Truth be told, I was a little hesitant to pick up this book. I'm not a big fan of romances where the hero/heroine falls in love with a relative of their decease partner, or as I like to call it the "keeping it within the family" trope. I tend to stay away from romances with these plot lines because they can sometimes be cheesy and predictable. But I think I may have spoken too soon because this book was anything but...

It's been over a year since Sadia Ahmed's husband passed and she still struggles to make it through the day. A single mom who was left with more than she can handle, Sadia tries to figure out her next step to provide a better life for her and her son. But when Jackson Kane returns to town, Sadia becomes even more confused as she tries to figure out her feelings for the best friend who walked out of her life without even saying goodbye. Emotions she hasn't felt in years start to rise and Jackson and Sadia will have to decide whether or not their relationship is worth risking.

Wrong to Need You is a story about overcoming loss and finding your way back to love. The fact that I had any doubts about this book in the first place should earn me a slap upside my head because I was worried for no reason at all. I thought the execution of the romance was well done. It's a slow-burning romance so there was no rush when it came to Sadia and Jackson getting together, which I thought was a good move considering the circumstances. There were a number of issues that these two had to work out, both with themselves and with each other, before they were ready to take that next step. I will say that I was not expecting Sadia to be the more dominate one in this relationship, but I am not complaining. I very much enjoyed this change since I don't often read romances with dominate female leads. My girl Sadia knows what she wants and has no problem with letting you know it.

I went into this book already having a lot of love for Sadia's character, but now I also have great amount of respect for her, too. Sadia is a single mom who has a lot on her plate. She still hasn't quite dealt with Paul's death as she still blames herself for it. Once again, Rai does an amazing job at tackling mental health as we see Sadia struggling with anxiety and depression and coming to terms with the fact that it's okay to not be perfect. I think her flaws are what I love most about her because they make her so relatable. I also loved Sadia's relationship with her sisters. They can be a little overwhelming at first, but they are very supportive of one another, even if they don't always agree. And let's not forget the cutest little boy ever, Kareem! Kareem was such an added joy to this story and you can't help but love all the scenes with him.

Jackson surprised me in more ways than one. He is very shy and I found that to be a refreshing trait when it comes to heroes in romances because I honestly can't remember the last time I read about a shy hero. He may be a man of little words, but his actions speak loud enough for him. He may have felt like an outsider for most of his life, but he finally found where he belongs...with Sadia. Jackson and Kareem's relationship was so adorable! These two would bake together, like it doesn't get any better than that. 

Wrong to Need You was an absolute treat and I can't help but want more of Jackson and Sadia. No joke, I really do want more. I keep trying to turn to the next page in my eReader, hoping that this love story will continue and I find nothing! If you haven't picked up the Forbidden Hearts series, you are not living your best life so I suggest you go change that immediately...and make sure you have tissues on deck because you will need them!  



No comments:

Post a Comment