The Ghostwriter || Book Review

No comments:

30962267
Title: The Ghostwriter
Author: Alessandra Torre
Publication Date: October 2, 2017
Publisher: Self-published
Links: Goodreads || Amazon || Barnes & Noble 

Rating: ★★
Synopsis via Goodreads: Four years ago, I lied. I stood in front of the police, my friends and family, and made up a story, my best one yet. And all of them believed me. 

I wasn't surprised. Telling stories is what made me famous. Fifteen bestsellers. Millions of fans. Fame and fortune.

Now, I have one last story to write. It'll be my best one yet, with a jaw-dropping twist that will leave them stunned and gasping for breath.

They say that sticks and stones will break your bones, but this story? It will be the one that kills me.


This book is not a romance. It is contemporary fiction, but very suspenseful in nature. It is about a famous romance author and a dark secret she keeps.
IS THERE ANY GENRE THAT ALESSANDRA TORRE CAN'T WRITE?

Image result for NU UH gif

Y'all, I have a new obsession and her name is Alessandra Torre! I've read four books by Torre this year and I can't get enough of her writing. The woman is a genius story-teller and I'm always left speechless by the end of each book. The Ghostwriter was no different. I don't even know where to begin when it comes to discussing this book because I'm still reeling from everything that went down in the last few chapters. Maybe from the beginning...it's the best place to start, right?

The Ghostwriter follows the story of Helena Ross, a best-selling romance author who is thought to have the perfect life. A perfect husband. A perfect daughter. A perfect house. A successful career. But it's all an illusion because her life couldn't be farther from perfection. Now time is running out and she has one final story to tell. A story she should've told years before, but buried it under feelings of guilt and shame. A story that may very well kill her by the end.

I'm going to try to be as vague as possible when it comes to talking about the plot because it's best to go into this book blind. I did and I was shook by the end. Alessandra Torre is well-known for her romance books, all ranging from sweet and heartfelt to dark and sexy, but The Ghostwriter is like nothing she's written before. IT'S NOT A ROMANCE! I would probably describe this book as a contemporary with a twist. It has a suspenseful tone will suck you in and you won't be able to put this book down. I know I wasn't able to. It was an internal battle of wanting to know what was going to happen next while also trying to savor every word. 

One of my favorite things about this book was the way it was structured. The Ghostwriter is told from four POVs. We first have the main POV, which is Helena's, and it's told from first person. She's a bit of an unreliable narrator because she makes you believe one thing but in actuality, the real truth doesn't hit you until you least expect it. Then we have our three accompanying POVs: Mark, Kate and Charlotte and they are all told from third person. Mark, Kate and Charlotte are like the readers reading this book, they don't know a thing. As the story goes on, both these characters and the reader learn more and more about Helena and I think that's what I liked most about their POVs. They provided this outside perspective of who Helena was (or who they believe her to be) and they also allowed us a break from being inside Helena's head and trust me, you're gonna need it here and there.

The writing itself is phenomenal. Like I said, I couldn't put this book down. It's a story within a story with clues hidden among Helena's thoughts. Every time I thought I had the puzzle figured out, I would realize that I had a piece missing and I needed to look again. Once the pieces were finally together and we got to see the bigger picture MY MIND WAS BLOWN! This was basically me during the last 20% of this book:

Related image

So enough about the writing, let's talk characters. Helena is a character you are both going to love and hate. She's very stubborn, selfish, and a little rude, but she's also driven, creative and perfectly flawed. I was frustrated with her, but at the same time I understand why she chose to close herself off on that emotional level. I sure as hell have a lot of respect for the woman because not many people would be able to go through what she went through and live to tell the story. I loved Mark. He and Helena have a lot more in common than they think and I thought he was a great contrast to her abrasive attitude. He helped to smooth out her edges and he even made her smile again. I'm still stunned by Mark's little reveal and I kind of wish there were more people like him in the romance community.

The Ghostwriter is a story like nothing I've read before and I probably will never read a story like this again because let's face it, there ain't no other writer out there who can replicate a story like this. I patiently await Torre's next release and I know for sure I will love it as much as I've loved her other books!



No comments:

Post a Comment