Pennies - Book Review

No comments:
Title: Pennies

Author: Pepper Winters

Publication Date: July 18, 2016

My Rating: ★★★★.75
"I'm not the hero in this story, girl. You'd do best to remember that."

Once upon a time, I was an eighteen year old psychology student.
Now, I’m a man’s property.
Stolen and sold, I’ve been decorated in bruises since the day my world changed two years ago.
I suffer in silence, I crave freedom, but I never break.
I can’t.
Until he arrives.
Elder Prest, the only man to look at me and see me. The only man more ruthless than my owner.
He wants me for reasons I don’t understand.
He claims me for one night then leaves and never looks back.
Until he returns.
And life becomes much more complicated.
Links: 
|| Amazon || Barnes & Noble || Goodreads || 



Tasmin died the night she was kidnapped

Sold into sex slavery and now known as Pimlico, she struggles to come to terms with her new life that she didn't choose. After shes purchased by a vile, horrible man she has to come to terms with even worse.

So much is taken from her by him without her permission, even more is taken by his friends without her permission

Even though so much is taken from her she makes a vow to hold on to the one thing he can never get. Her voice.

 Pim makes a vow that no matter what vile things happen to her she'll hold on to her voice and never speak again. At first this is just a promise she makes to remain stubborn and anger her captor, but after a few years go by, it's the only thing that keeps her sanity. In the never ending cycle of abuse and neglect keeping her words inside is what keeps her holding on by a fine thread. 

Enter Elder Prest. The mysterious man comes and shakes things up for Pim in the best and worst ways. She doesn't know how to take him, and he feels the same about her. She knows enough in her new life to know that she can never trust people so easily ever again. Yet, that tends to be somewhat hard with him. 

Elder isn't a good man. He'll tell you himself. When he meets Pim he's only around to conduct business, nothing more, nothing less. But for some reason he's drawn to the captive girl with the weak body, and desolate look in her eyes. He can have any woman he wants with a snap of his fingers, a women who isn't half dead and silent. But for some reason she intrigues him in the worst way.

The events that happen when these two meet are more than even they could imagine, but is that a good thing or not?

Pepper Winters is an authors that is known for creating some of the best dark romances around.. I've had plenty of her books on my tbr, and on my kindle for the longest now, and I finally decided the other week that it was time to crack open one of her books. I now want to slap myself for waiting so long to do so!! Her writing is darkly good, and I was hooked from the very first page!! I had to stop a few times to just take in the story because it was hard to take in one go at times, and because I just wanted to absorb her words. 

Now be warned that this is a dark romance and it's not pretty or easy to take in at times. If you're already a fan of the dark reads then you'll probably be prepared and ready to dive into this one. If you're not use to reading darker books then you should definitely proceed with caution or read spoiler reviews to gauge your comfort levels.

I myself don't mind dark reads if they're done well. I feel like lately a lot of "dark" romances are just waaaayyyy to OTT and not in a good way. The stories either read super cheesy and too try hard, or they're just entirely too damn much. It's like a lot of authors are trying to "outdark" one another by one upping everything they write. If one author does one OTT, the next has to go completely left and top that for whatever reason, and if you can't tell this trend really annoys me. Sorry not sorry but that's how I feel about a majority of things in the genre. I say all of this to say that I never once got that vibe with this book. Even though the book was dark and maybe hard to read at times there was still something, dare I say hauntingly beautiful about the writing. You can tell that a lot of thought, planning, and care went into this story to make it something that can still be fulfilling for the reader. 

The characterization in this book was so spot on, I hated the obvious evil character, and I loved reading about Pim. She had this resiliency even in her situation and even though she was in some bad shit I still rooted for her to get something better. Her story broke my heart, and she definitely didn't deserve everything thrown her way.

Elder was such a mystery and I didn't know if I should root for him or try to beat him up lol. I definitely feel that as a reader we feel the same emotions towards him that Pim did, and I think that makes the story even more interesting to read.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the rest of the series, and if I'm not mistaken the last book recently released which means I can binge and get my life!! After that ending in this book I have soooooo many questions regarding Pim and if there's any more reasons of how she got in her situation, and of course more about Elder. I think this series is shaping up to be something really great so I'm super pumped to see how it all unravels!! And I definitely need to get on to more of Winters' other books because I've heard nothing but amazing things!!

If you're a dark romance lover looking for your next fix and have yet to try out Pepper Winters, or if you're a fan and just haven't started this series yet then you should definitely hop on!! I think Pennies is a solid start to a dark, yet highly addicting series that will keep everyone hooked from beginning to end!!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment