A Hit, A Miss and Something In Between || Mini Reviews

No comments:
THE OTHER BROTHER by MEGHAN QUINN
★★★★½
36279533
“...from as far back as I can remember, I've always been the other. The other friend, the other employee...the other brother. For once in my life I want to be the only.”
Let me start off by saying that I don't like the cover for this book. This is not how I pictured Aaron aka Smalls. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, onto the review. I'll admit that I had my doubts when I first read the synopsis for The Other Brother. I don't like love-triangles whatsoever, especially those involving brothers, but if Meghan Quinn can make me love a book about a girl who falls in love with her best friend's ex, then maybe I can let the love triangle slide...

Letting Amelia Santos go has been Aaron Walters' only regret in life. Now he has a chance at gaining back her trust and proving to her that he's worth a second shot. The only problem? She's dating his brother.

I don't know why I ever went into this book with any doubts. I should be slapped upside my head for doubting Meghan Quinn in the first place. I mean what other author can write a book with my most hated trope, love triangles, and my most loved, second-chances, and somehow make me love it? Meghan Quinn did just that! I could not put this book down and I liked how the flashback moments were seamless added to the story. The flashbacks gutted me. I cried so much because Aaron and Amelia were so happy together and then they weren't. 

Oh Aaron Walters, how I love thee, let me count the ways! Aaron is like a big teddy bear. He is so sweet and caring and selfless. Although he may have been foolish to let Amelia go in the first place, I personally thought it was good move because Aaron had to learn to love himself before he could allow himself to let someone in. I was on the fence about Amelia in the beginning but she eventually grew on me. I don't know how she found the will to resist Aaron because my ass would've don—okay let me not finish that thought but I admire her strength considering all that she was going through. The Other Brother was another exceptional read by Meghan Quinn and if she ever does decide to write another book set in this world, I would totally be here for it!
CRAVE: PART TWO by E.K. BLAIR
★★
34929095
Maybe we were too perfect, and because of that, we were meant to be pierced by thorns.
I wasn't a big fan of Crave: Part One, but the cliffhanger at the end was what pushed me to pick up the sequel. I needed answers. I needed to know what would become of Kason and Adaline's relationship. I needed to know if the sequel would be any better than the first book. Let's just say that I may have set my expectations a bit too high with this book. There will be minor spoilers in this review so don't keep reading if you still want to read the first book!

Crave: Part Two picks up right where Part One left off, with Adaline waking up and having no memory of what happened the night before. She feels embarrassed and blames herself for letting a guy she barely knew take advantage of her while under the influence. Adaline starts on a downward spiral and she begins to isolate herself from everyone, including Kason. Can these two survive this trauma or will secrets be the end of their relationship?

Like with the first book, Crave: Part Two also touches upon a difficult subject matter: rape. Majority of this story deals with Adaline coming to terms with her rape and realizing that she is not to blame. The thing is though, I didn't like the fact that rape was used as a plot twist. It just rubs me the wrong way. That was the first thing that made me not like this book. The second was THE UNNECESSARY ADDITION OF A LOVE INTEREST MAKING THIS A LOVE TRIANGLE!! Gosh, I hate any type of geometrical relationships in romances and considering everything Adaline had already gone through, I don't think there needed to be another love interest. It was pointless because if she wasn't ending up with Kason at the end, then WTF would be the point of all of this?!

As for the characters, their POVs didn't do anything for me. I just disconnected after I realized that there was probably going to be a new love interest. I really wished that both these books had more POVs with Kason. I wanted to get to him more and I wish that his addiction was discussed more. I'm hoping my next read by E.K. Blair will be much better because this series is definitely my least favorite by her.
LOVERS LIKE US by KRISTA & BECCA RITCHIE
★★★½
21428058
“I've been fucking stubborn, but I'd rather be stubborn with you than without you.”
Damaged Like Us is my most disappointing read for 2017 so I went into Lovers Like Us with no expectations so I wouldn't have to deal with being disappointed again. I'm happy to say that I did enjoy this sequel a bit more than the first book, but the series itself still has some flaws.

Lovers Like Us picks up some time after the rumors about  Moffy and Jane being in a romantic relationship have died down and things are slowly getting back to normal. There is still a bit of tension now that Moffy and Farrow have come out to their family and the security team about being in a relationship so in hopes of turning all this negative attention into something positive, the group decides to go on tour to meet their fans and help raise money for a good cause. But that's easier said than done.

I wasn't too excited to read yet another book about Moffy and Farrow and I'm really glad that this sequel didn't focus so much on this relationship. Instead we got to see more of the secondary characters and the security team. Jane is my favorite and I'm patiently waiting for her book. I feel like she deserves so much more than she gets and I just want her to be happy. The security team is a fucking riot! I couldn't not keep a straight face while reading their scenes and I'm looking forward to getting to know all the guys better as the series continues.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: I don't think I will ever like Maximoff Hale. I'm so tired of his "god-like" complex and the fact that everyone goes to him when they're in trouble. I don't get the obsession at all and I think Charlie Cobalt expressed all my thoughts about Moffy perfectly. Farrow is okay, I guess? I just feel that because Farrow's world revolves around Moffy, we don't really know who he is without Moffy at his side and I kind of want to get to know that Farrow. I'm very curious to see how things turn out for these two in the final installment because things are definitely about to get crazy now that the cat is out of the bag but I'm going to probably keep my expectations low once again so I don't hype myself up too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment