Love on the Hightlight Reel || Book Review

No comments:
TITLE: Love on the Highlight Reel

AUTHOR: Christina C. Jones

PUBLICATION DATE: July 15, 2016

MY RATING:★★★★★
First impressions don’t have to be everything.

But second, third, fourth impressions create a reputation, and those are hard to break. In the public eye, where everybody is tuned in to your every move, and behind the scenes, where certain people are privy to the real you… or at least what they perceive you to be.

Jordan Johnson is a man under pressure – from his teammates, fans, family, and the one person who wants to see him succeed as badly as he wants it for himself. He’ll do whatever he has to in order to not let anyone down… and maybe find an unanticipated connection along the way.

Nicole Richardson is a woman with a purpose – prove herself worthy of her place in a male-dominated field. Fiercely competitive, wielder of tough love and motivation, and terrible at dealing with things outside of her control. Between making sure the players are thriving, and coping with a changing family dynamic, a relationship isn’t even on her radar.

Denying their chemistry would be a waste of words, but giving in isn’t an option.

A season on the line.

Reputations at stake.

The threat of seeing their personal lives played out on the evening highlights.

With all of that swirling around them, Jordan and Nicole have to decide if it’s worth the effort to make the play… or take a knee.

Love Belvin and Christina C. Jones collaborate on a series of football romance, staring two football greats who so happen to be in for the biggest play of their lives: for their hearts. Quarterback, Trent Bailey, and wide receiver, Jordan Johnson, give their all out on the green. But what happens when the two friends encounter true love?

Take on Connecticut Kings’ finest and journey through their discovery of developing themselves as men, and exploring love.


Nicole Richardson is tough, and she doesn't take shit from anyone. And considering she works in a job field dominated by men she has good reason to be. Being a woman, and a black  at that, she has to work 10x as hard to prove she can do her job well. There's just one problem; Jordan Johnson. He gets under her skin her challenges her like no other person can.

He's cocky
He's arrogant 
He's a trouble maker, that won't follow the rules
He's fine as all get out...

Jordan Johnson eats, sleeps, and breathes football, but lately he's been feeling a little unsure about it. He has pressure all around him, from his overbearing dad, his coaches, his teammates. Having to pull the weight of his team has really started to take its toll on him, and he uses partying an fighting to release some stress. Plus there's always Nicole there to help make his day better, if only he could stay on her good side and bring some emotion out of her...





Let's give it up one time for some positive black love being shown in the romance genre!! As a young black woman it feels so damn good to be able to see people who look like me being able to fall in love!!

Y'all I can't even begin to express how much I loved this book, it was so beautiful!! I don't even know where to begin my review without raving too much, so let's just see how this goes...

First of all this book had all of my favorite tropes in it. Enemies to lovers, second chance love, AND it was a sports romance!! 

*cries*

I've never been so blessed by the book gods before, but I am so thankful!!

The writing in this book was so great, and it was so relateable for me which made this a million more times enjoyable. Christina knows how to write her ass off and create a story that hooks you from beginning to end. This is my third book by her and I've yet to be disappointed, she has now become one of my favorite authors and I will definitely be devouring every book she has!!

Another thing that made this book so bomb was Jordan Johnson himself!! 



He was a strong chocolate athlete that knew the fine art of dirty talking, and
 he 
could 
get 
it!!

He seemed like the stereotypical athlete on the surface but once you read more you see that there's so much more depth to him. He went hard for those he loved, and the love and affection he showed Nicole was just beautiful. He cherished her, he respected her, and he supported her unconditionally. He was always patient and willing to compromise and work with Nicole to make sure the relationship could work. And although they had some bumps in the road, like all couples do, he still saw things from both sides and and was man enough to own up to his mistakes.
"You were smart, and driven, and nasty as hell once I brought it out of you. You were my fucking first love."

 

(p.s. I've already claimed Jordan as my own y'all can't have him lol)

I literally can't think of one bad thing to say about him except I'm pissed he's not real😑😟

And let me just say that I loved Nicole's character too!! She took no shit from anyone and she proved that black women could be successful in their lives. And even though she put off a tough exterior, it was always done out of tough love to get others to see their full potential. Seeing the growth she made from beginning to end made me so happy, I love seeing a character be able to grow and change.

 I really loved her and Jordan together because you could feel that they belonged together!! Seeing them work through their issues like mature adults without unnecessary drama had me smiling like a fool at my kindle. 
(Then I cried a bit because I remembered that I'm forever alone...)

"His mouth crashed onto mine, consuming me with a kiss that felt like more than a kiss. Declarative strokes of his tongue, possessive nibbles at my lips and the corners of my mouth, and soothing, reassuring licks after."

I could go on and on about how great this book is, but the best way for anyone to experience it would be to read for yourself. If you love sports romances, enemies to lovers, or second chance then you need this book in your life. I can guarantee that you will devour it in one sitting, but remember Jordan Johnson is mine!!

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment